Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A brief update...

So, let's catch up. Here's whats new to the BiodieselJeep and the biofuels family:

-The BiodieselJeep is running fine. We moved to a about 30-50% splash-blend for the winter and have kept at that since then. Splash blending (for those who want to pick up some more biofuel-lingo) just means that you dump it in the tank, no muss, no fuss. That's one of the great things about biodiesel. Why 30-50%? My biodiesel container is 5 gallons, and I dump it in when it gets mid to low. No science here, just convenience.
-The BiodieselJeep mileage is improving. Diesels generally get better as they break in. There is a simple mod that also got us another 1-2 mpg. Around town as a baby-carrrier the Jeep gets 23 mpg consistently. Compare that to any other mid-small sized SUVs. Which brings me to another point: The curb weight of the Jeep with the diesel option is alot closer to a mid-sized SUV than many of the small SUV's it gets compared to. A CRV? maybe. But often it gets compared to the RAV-4, which is sooo tiny. Not fair, I say! Highway with a big load and driving 70 mph: 26 mpg. At 55 we get near 30...but that just isn't realistic.
-Meet the "new" Jetta, same as the "old" Jetta. I crashed the black Jetta. I cried and cried; that lil' honey could run. Cried until I got the insurance check, which was more than I paid for it!Diesels are selling for ridiculous amounts. so my insurance company paid out a market price and that took the edge off. I bought a white Jetta TDI, same year, same mileage but with more doodads and a moon-roof. To make it even better, I sold the wreck to some clever boys from Vermont who wanted to slap together a diesel hybrid. Hopefully as you read this, the FrankenJetta is haunting the Green Mountains, terrorizing gas stations with inhuman mileage. Bwoooaaaahaaahaahaaa!!!
-Can't drive 55. Look, let us be honest. You and I should drive slower if we really want better mileage. All the statistics are very clear: every 4-5 mph over 55 drops your mileage by at least 1 mpg. But in my state (CT) highways are 65 mph...and everyone drives 75. Now, the white Jetta has bigger injectors and stuff, which means it really wants to fast. Fast as in not dangerous but fast as in sorry-officer-I-think-my-speedometer-is-broken. Still, I never get below 41 mpg. I could be getting close to 48...(someone is doing math right now...yes...naughty boy). The guilt haunts me at night, but sporty turbo diesels combined with autobahn engineering makes for irresistible fun.

1 Comments:

At 4:56 AM, Blogger Music for All said...

Hi BJ,
Good post! You hit the nail on the head with your comment "just dump it in the tank....no science here, just convenience" I wish more people (in the UK) appreciated how user friendly, not to mention planet friendly, this stuff is.
It is also interesting to hear how restricted your choice of diesel vehicles is compared to the UK. One downside of their popularity however is the rising cost of fossil diesel at the pumps and the vehicles themselves. Even WVO is now difficult to get for free collection.
If you are interested, I write a blog on Biodiesel why not take a look?
docbiodiesel
http://making-biodiesel-news.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home