Saturday, June 03, 2006

Biodiesel Mileage Report: $0.16/mile


Results from my first measured test of mileage on 100% (B100 unblended) commercial grade biodiesel. Since I don’t have a way to accurately measure the biodiesel that I hand pump from the delivered barrels, I had to (argh) re-fill with petro diesel at a station to figure the amount I used.

Vehicle: 2005 CRD Sport, 12,000 miles aftermarket roof-racks (unloaded), hitch rack (fully loaded), two adults, one child and one golden retriever, tons of camping and whitewater gear.

Conditions: 75% non-flat highway, 25% mountains (CT to upstate NY). Highway speeds at 75 mph (2200 rpm) on cruise.

Biodiesel Mileage: 21.8 mpg (+/- 2mpg based on different method/person filling tank)

Cost per mile on Biodiesel at $3.49/gallon: $.16 !!!compare to $.18 per mile in a gas liberty at $3.09/gallon betting similar ”city” mileage

Interesting note: soon after filling with truck-stop petro diesel in on the MA/CT border, the check-engine light went on. This has only happened once before...when I filled up with petro diesel on the NY/CT border. I think that they have crappy diesel in that region.

This data is stand-alone, there is no way for me to compare this biodiesel performance to petro-diesel unless I go an make the same trip again on petro-diesel. However, it DOES let me know that my mileage is reasonable..and my cost per mile on biodiesel IS competitive with other vehicles on non-biodiesel.

1 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go to school in Maine, and every time I come home to Connecticut I am excited to see my family and to be home, but my return to Maine usually never comes soon enough. I've developed something of a view on my home state that isn't quite negative, but might not be exuberantly postive either. The college I go to runs on green energy, and will soon begin making its own biodiesel, and my cousin on the Maine coast works for a nonprofit that makes about 15,000 gallons a year. These things are somewhat common in Maine... it is a fantastic place. I fell into the fallacious line of thinking that Connecticut was a cultural wasteland of misguided development and energy consumption (not that Maine is free from sprawl or backward thinking). That was, until I saw your jeep in the Stop & Shop parking lot in New Britain about an hour ago. I commend you for your forwarding thinking personal energy policies, and especially for advertising it. I can't tell you how suprised I was to see that, and how much I respect your effort to spread the word. You are a light in what I thought was a dark place.

cheers,
Zand Martin
amartin@bates.edu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home